Translate

Tuesday, July 28, 2020

Pandemic Living

So, this morning Don asked me, “What do you have on your agenda today?” “Well,” I said, “I have several things that I could do today but nothing seems to be worth the bother.” I rambled on about needing more exercise and getting the valence made for the bedroom window. But I said that I started a list yesterday but lost interest in it and just worked on a crossword puzzle. I might do that again today. But instead, here I am writing and that isn’t on my list. I have to admit that I started the computer with plans to research window darkening shades for the bedroom but this is how that ended. I think that we have finally reached retirement. The workshop is largely finished except for managing the dust and Don is doing the research.

Andalusia



 I returned from 15 days with Kelly and her tots in Philadelphia and am still adapting to peace

Kelly and Jett

and quiet and missing those children. I sure wish they lived closer. It was good to be useful and enjoy almost 4-month old Andalusia and almost 3-year-old Jett. I got to witness Andalusia making her first roll-over and Jett “reading” stories about Andalusia. Not to mention hanging out with my daughter and going on long walks with her. What treasures I have for memories now.


I flew on an airplane. Back in March when I realized I could not safely fly to Philadelphia when Andalusia was born, I thought it would be that way forever. I did some research and came to the conclusion that airports and airlines have made changes to make it mostly safe to fly and that Delta had the best practices so I went with them. Cleaning the plane well, everyone wearing masks, and no one in middle seats. Almost everyone in the airport

was wearing masks. So I flew on a half full plane from nearly empty airports and no lines at security. Not sure how long the airports and airlines can sustain that level of use. When I got off the plane in Minneapolis, Don met me and we went to Peppers and Fries to watch the Minnesota Twins opener. It was almost like the olden days except for sitting on the patio and no crowds and having a masked server but we did have a really good hamburger served to us at our table. When the Twins scored a home run, the few patrons inside the restaurant roared their approval. It was a beautiful warm summer Minnesota night.

At Peppers and Fries

My brother Ludwig was there as we expected and came to sit with us. We could see the game through the front windows of the restaurant. 

Our place in Texas appears to have survived the hurricane intact. At least that is the report from Palmdale. They had a lot of rain and some pretty strong wind gusts but apparently all of the car ports and sheds stayed in place. Hurricane Hanna came in about 60 miles to the north of us so we did not get the brunt of the storm. I am hopeful that if/when we return in the fall, we will find everything on the inside dry and clean. Still a lot of hurricane season to go this year.

Back home in Coon Rapids we plod through the days doing or not doing whatever seems to be most pressing. There is still plenty to do to finish moving in but nothing that can’t be put off longer. While I was gone, we got a new high efficiency furnace and air conditioner installed and a new skylight. All of the 10 units in the Tulip Street Homeowner’s Association got a new skylight because some had started to fail last year. Don finished getting all the storage built for the workshop and unpacked the rest of his boxes of tools and materials. He also brought in a part of his woodpile that had been sitting on our patio for the last couple of months. The remainder of the woodpile is at my brother’s farm up by Brainerd and he has plans for getting that moved into our basement by the end of the summer.

The shop
The wood pile

Before I left, I made enough masks for Greg so that he could get a clean one every day. Now, I’m getting used to the idea that this may be the way of things for the years to come so I plan to make some improvements on masks and possibly add at HEPA filter (cut from vacuum cleaner bags) that can be inserted in a pocket on the mask. That might offer even better protection for the person wearing it. Greg is a mail carrier so he is one of those essential workers that has to go out and expose himself every day. I can’t even touch my own son or his daughter or wife. I was fortunate that when I was at Kelly’s, she agreed that I could hold her baby and play with Jett. I did take a shower and scrub myself good as soon as I arrived there putting my clothes and mask in a garbage bag for a few days before I washed them. I did not take those precautions after I returned home. It didn’t seem to me that the risk was there. Hopefully, that turns out to be the case.

My little sister is getting married this summer and she included us in her very limited guest list. So, she will marry the guy whom she met and fell in love with this year.

Elaine and Jerry

By my calculations, she is not quite 60 years old but of all the people who have found ways to get through this pandemic, I think she has found the best path yet. I look forward to welcoming Jerry into our family. What we need is a new brother.

My brothers and sisters

Don said that while I was gone, a family had a little wedding in their back yard not far from where we live. I started thinking that some of these little, inexpensive weddings and funerals that are taking place, might be more memorable and meaningful than the extravagant events that occur during “normal” times. My brother Jake died in June and we all gathered at the cemetery where my parents are buried to commemorate his life and let him go. It was as meaningful and helpful as any funeral that I’ve been to. I think I’ve written about Jake previously in this blog. The difference for me now is that I don’t have to think about going to see him every year and know that his spirit is free now.

Jake

Edith and her Mom- because I have a picture of
Edie in every blog post! This was at the physically
distanced 4th of July picnic.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment