Translate

Saturday, January 17, 2015

Edie's Birthday Week

I have been absent from Palmdale for the last 10 days so I have no news from here except that during my absence, Don has taken up salt-water fishing in the gulf and also playing golf on senior discount day at the golf course. This morning it is sunny outside, Don is off fishing and I've turned off the heated floor because the sun is beginning to warm up the place. Presumably, it is also warming up outside but I'm still in my pajamas enjoying the solitude.

My trip to Minnesota was not without it's challenges as I couch-surfed between Son Greg's and Sister Elaine's houses. They have surprisingly similar couches and it only took me a day or two to figure out how to make up the bed to keep me warm. That little crack between the cushions on the couch lets in enough cold air so you never get warm unless it is covered with a thick comforter. That is the secret to winter couch surfing in Minnesota. Despite the sub-zero temperatures and the canceled birthday party due to the flu-infected Barbis/Ruff household, it turned out to be a very enjoyable trip for me.

Wednesday, January 7 commenced Edie's Birthday Week so I was free to give her gifts every day that I was there. It was easy since she is in her Princess phase now and dress up clothes are on her Christmas list which is still relevant. She loved her long skirt that I made from a scarf purchased at the flea market. She wore it all of the time and quickly learned how to pick up the long skirt so as not to trip going up stairs.

I had hours of good play time with Edie and Greg and was able to spend time with Elaine and her family. Elaine and I took a trip to Brainerd to have lunch with Bob, Jean, Dick, and Mark and deliver a shirt to Bob. Don found a shirt at the flea market sporting the message, "I'm retired and now I work part time as a pain in the butt." and I was instructed to deliver it to Bob.

Greg and I took Edie to the Mall of America a couple of times, rode the carousel and had lunch.I began to appreciate what a great indoor space this mall provides to Minnesota on cold winter days. My trip was completed with an excursion to the Como Park Conservatory in St. Paul. What a wonderful indoor tropical space for walking and enjoying a humid warm atmosphere. Greg and Peggy's Christmas present was dinner out with free babysitting. I enjoyed a dinner out with Sister Kay and Cousin Nancy at the French Meadow Restaurant in St. Paul one night. By the time I boarded my plane for the return trip, the "January Thaw" had commenced. Snow was getting soft and wet.

I learned that during my absence it was chilly and rainy most of the time. It is a toss up as to whether that weather is any more comfortable than what I found in Minnesota. Now the sun is out and I can get back to my life as a Winter Texan.

1 comment:

  1. It was great having you here! I'm glad you're getting lots of sunshine now!!

    ReplyDelete