Translate

Friday, November 14, 2014

The Polar Vortex 11/13

The Polar Vortex has reached Southern Louisiana. The area where we are staying this week is also known as Arcadiana. So when I went to the Arcadiana Yoga and Wellness Center in Lafayette yesterday, I was wearing a light coat. I filled out my forms and signed the release from any liability in the event that I might injure myself and went to hang up my coat and put my mat on the floor. There was no place to hang my coat so I put it in a pile with my purse near were other class participants had put theirs. After class the conversation was about how bitterly cold it is now. The same conversation is being repeated across the country I am sure. The yoga instructor who knew I was from South Dakota because she read my form observed that it was much colder where I was from. I explained that it was indeed though I’ve never really lived in South Dakota even though that is my address. I said that I grew up in Minnesota and spent most of my life in Illinois. I said that I had looked for a place to hang my coat when I came in but there was no place. They all laughed and explained that they almost never need to wear a coat. I said I’ve never lived in place where they didn’t need a coat rack. That’s how far South we are. We had a hard freeze for several hours last night. We disconnected our hose overnight. The park has wrapped the hydrants in insulation.

People ask us, “Where are you from?” It stops me every time and I have to think for a minute. I reply based on the situation. If we are checking into an RV park, the answer is South Dakota. That’s on our license plates and our official address. I’ve always thought of myself as being “from Minnesota” though I spent most of my life in Illinois. So often now, I will say Illinois though occasionally I will explain the whole story.


Yesterday, we spent the day at home. I mixed up a batch of granola the way that I learned at Kelly’s and used up what remained of Lon’s maple syrup that Kelly generously gave us when we left her house in September. Lon is a dear man who lives across Twin Springs Road from Kelly in Wisconsin who makes maple syrup every year. The house (motor home, camper) smelled wonderfully like maple and coconut all day until I made gumbo last night. Don beat me in cribbage again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment